Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I'd forgotten how much I like them...

Hymns!

As in the dictionary...

A hymn is a type of song, usually religious, specifically written for the purpose of praise, adoration or prayer, and typically addressed to a deity, a prominent figure or an epic tale. The word hymn derives from Greek ὕμνος hymns "a song of praise".

I was listening to Focus on the Family today & Joni Erickson was on and talking about hymns the impact they had on her while growing up.
As a little girl in church I loved when we'd sing and there would be the men singing one part and the ladies sing another-or the choruses and as I get older I realize so much more what the authors were talking about.
We sang one at Sunday morning service ( It is Well) and I loved it!
I'm going to find my hymn CD'S and start playing them more often and have the kids listen and teach/tell them what they mean.


HOW GREAT THOU ART
O Lord my God, When I in awesome wonder,Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made;I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,Thy power throughout the universe displayed.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,How great Thou art, How great Thou art.Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,How great Thou art, How great Thou art!
When through the woods, and forest glades I wander,And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,How great Thou art, How great Thou art.Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,How great Thou art, How great Thou art!
And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing;Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;That on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing,He bled and died to take away my sin.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,How great Thou art, How great Thou art.Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,How great Thou art, How great Thou art!
When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation,And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart.Then I shall bow, in humble adoration,And then proclaim: "My God, how great Thou art!"
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,How great Thou art, How great Thou art.Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

And if you were wondering ...

50 Most Loved Hymns

Hymns are listed in their order of popularity

1 Amazing Grace 2 Ave Maria 3 Jerusalem 4 Holy Holy Holy 5 Battle Hymn Of The Republic 6 How Great Thou Art 7 Be Thou My Vision 8 Rock Of Ages 9 Joyful Joyful 10 It Is Well With My Soul 11 In The Garden 12 This Little Light Of Mine 13 Just A Closer Walk With Thee 14 Hallelujah Chorus 15 Nearer My God To Thee 16 Blessed Assurance 17 23rd Psalm 18 The Old Rugged Cross 19 The Lord Is My Shepherd 20 Abide With Me 21 He Who Would Valiant Be 22 To God Be The Glory 23 What A Friend We Have In Jesus 24 Onward Christian Soldiers 25 We Plough The Fields And Scatter 26 Eternal Father Strong To Save 27 Jesus Lover Of My Soul 28 I Vow To Thee My Country 29 Be Still My Soul 30 I Come To The Garden Alone 31 God Of Our Fathers 32 Breath Of God 33 Lift High The Cross 34 The Holy City 35 Breathe On Me 36 All Creatures Of Our God And King 37 All Things Bright And Beautiful 38 Fight The Good Fight 39 Faith Of Our Fathers 40 Jesus Loves Me This I Know 41 Take My Life And Let It Be 42 At The Cross 43 Jesus Paid It All 44 For The Beauty Of The Earth 45 Jesus Christ Is Risen Today 46 Shall We Gather At The River 47 All Hail The Power Of Jesus Name 48 Fairest Lord Jesus 49 Crown Him With Many Crowns 50 The King Of Love My Shepherd Is

1 comment:

livinginthemidwest said...

I'm right there with you. Fewer and fewer churches are even singing hymns anymore because people complain that they are boring. But if they stopped to listen to the words they would realize they are anything but boring...they are full of such depth. They do have a website that has old hymns put to different music if you want to check it out.
http://www.igracemusic.com/hymnbook/hymns.html